Friday, August 17, 2007

DCC Short Protector ...

One of the things that have bothered me is that when I am running trains and something shorts to stop all trains. Though this is a good feature to protect the system I think it may be a little to much. As I researched this I have found that I am not in the minority on this. There are a couple options but there is one that peaked my interest and that is the use of an automotive brake light bulb. Breaking the layout down into power districts and then installing a bulb in each of the districts seem to work very well from what I have seen. Here is a link to John Fugate's excellent demonstration and explanation of the use of the brake light for this purpose.

http://mymemoirs.net/model-trains/images/previews/TSL3/shortMgmt1_bbhi.swf

No comments: